Tours available by appointment
Contact our office at 215-848-1777 to schedule a tour.
The Turmoil of Transition: The mid-nineteenth century at Cliveden
Enter Cliveden as it was in the mid-nineteenth century - a household and a country in turmoil. This period of tension explores household dynamics, substance abuse and violence, exacerbated by societal shifts of the mid-19th century and still relevant.
This one-hour experience includes the grounds, first and second floor of the house and the Kitchen Dependency and requires the ability to navigate stairs and uneven landscapes. Please let us know if you require special accommodations.
Tours for groups of under ten guests can be scheduled by appointment January through April. Reservations made at least 48 hours in advance are required. Tours occasionally may need to be rescheduled due to events, inclement weather and other programming taking place on the property.
To make a reservation, contact Carolyn Wallace, Education Director, at 215-848-3680 or by email at [email protected].
National Trust Members: $7.50
Friends of Cliveden Members: Free
Children 6 Years & Younger: Free
- Please meet in front of the Carriage House to begin the tour.
- Groups are welcome to eat lunch outside on the grounds. Please be sure that all trash is thrown away.
- Please do not climb on the trees.
- Please stay home if you are not feeling well or have come into contact with someone who is sick. Wash your hands and follow CDC guidance on personal hygiene before you visit.
- Help yourself to Cliveden’s scavenger hunts, bingo cards and other information to learn more about history of the site and community.
- Dogs are welcome on Cliveden's grounds! All dogs must be leashed and please clean up after them.
Cliveden can be reached by car and public transportation.
Via PA Turnpike (I-276): Take exit 333 and follow Germantown Pike east for 7 miles to Cliveden Street on the left.
Via Schuylkill Expressway (I-76): Take exit 340 to Lincoln Drive. Turn right onto Johnson Street (third light) then left onto Germantown Avenue (fourth light). Take the first right onto Cliveden Street.
Tours begin at the Cliveden Carriage House, a large stone building near the corner of Cliveden and Morton Streets. To locate the Carriage House, use the following address: 98 East Cliveden Street, Philadelphia, PA 19119.
Visitors will be greeted by a Cliveden Interpreter before each tour starts. Restroom facilities are available in the Carriage House.
Questions about tours?
Contact our office at 215-848-3680 or use the form below for any questions about our tours.
Spring Tour Season begins Thursday, May 4th!
Help Preserve Our History
Support Cliveden's work while receiving great benefits being a Friends of Cliveden or 1767 Circle member!